How to Add a Street to Google Maps? [Solved]
One of the most requested features to bring to Google Maps from Map Maker is the ability to add and edit roads. Today we are launching the first part of a revamped editing flow in Google Maps targeting road segment editing. This first launch features a new selection UI and the ability to report issues on multiple road segments at once on desktop Google Maps (for Level 5 Local Guides) and Google Maps for Android (slowly rolling out to everyone).
How to edit a road segment:
- Open Google Maps on your desktop computer OR the Google Maps app for Android
- Tap = to open the side menu
- Scroll down to “Send Feedback”
- Tap “Edit the map”
- Tap the road segment you want to edit
- Tap “Next”
- Suggest the changes for the road you selected (Name, Incorrectly drawn, One-way/two-way, Closed, or Private)
- Tap Send
Look for more announcements in the future, including the ability to report a missing road, report issues on a full route, and further down the line, report more complex attributes like real-time closures and events.
We’re excited to hear your feedback on this first step as we improve the road editing process in Google Maps, working towards our goal of assisting everyone as they navigate the world around them.
Another method to add a street to Google maps?
Earlier there was a Google Mapmaker tool to do this. But Google has officially closed the Mapmaker in March 2017, and many of its features are now being integrated into Google Maps alone.
Adding a new street or Editing an existing one is something that comes under political territory. And so there is no straightforward way to do that. Instead, you have to use the 'Send Feedback' feature of Google map to highlight the issue.
Follow these guidelines:
- Locate/search the area in map where you want to add a new street or a road segment
- Select Hamburger Menu from top left side of the map
- Select 'Send Feedback' menu and choose 'Report missing road' option
- Map will ask you to click/select the region where the missing road should be
- Once you select the region, a red marker will appear along with a dialog seeking following details
- Name - mention the name/number of new street
- Other - Add a note highlighting the exact issue, provide details about how and why the street exist
- Finally click on Submit to send the feedback.
Google will verify the information provided by you from their allowed sources and publish it if it happens to be correct. The entire process may take a long time(in my case, the changes about missing road segment were published after around 3 months of reporting the issue).